Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Georg Potthast's DOSUSB (Announce)

posted by Japheth Homepage, Germany (South), 06.09.2008, 12:51
(edited by Japheth on 06.09.2008, 15:50)

> Don't miss that Georg updated his DOSUSB to version 1.4b
> Although there isn't anz loud anouncement on his site it is very important
> update because now the USB disk driver is fixed and works.
> So now we have a driver which allows to change flash disks without
> rebooting the computer!
> Note that other drivers don't allow the USB hotplug but DOSUSB yes. I
> tested it, it works perfectly.

If it works perfectly for you, then perhaps you can supply a short description how to install it? Because I'm unable to get it to work. If I load USBDISK.SYS (with DEVLOAD.COM), it tells me a new drive H: is available. Then I load USBDOS.COM. Then I try to switch to H: and ............ nothing happens anymore.

If I load DOSUSB.COM before USBDISK.SYS - IMO the documentation should be a bit more clear about such issues - then both drivers also load (DOSUSB finds a device and USBDISK tells it has installed H:), but the freeze still happens ....

:crying:

under Windows XP/ 9x there is no problem with this memory stick, it's formated with FAT16.

Edit:
I got it to work finally. The USBDISK.SYS has problems with the CD-ROM driver (SHCDX33C) loaded in CONFIG.SYS. It's unable to detect that SHCDX33C has installed itself for drive H: and reuses this drive letter. If the CD-ROM driver is commented out in CONFIG.SYS it works!
:-)

2. Edit:

It's also possible to assign another drive letter to the cd-rom and thus leaving a "hole" for USBDISK. This way there is no problem using a CD-ROM and USBDISK :-)

However, USBDISK seems to have severe problems with writes. Reading works reliable, albeit slow. To copy a file to the stick, however, isn't successful. Worse, after the copy has been aborted (leaving a directory entry with file size 0), there are "exception 06" reported by Jemm, which might be an indication that there was an hazardous write to DOS memory. :crying:

---
MS-DOS forever!

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
21998 Postings in 2024 Threads, 395 registered users, 106 users online (0 registered, 106 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed