Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

EDR-DOS development (Announce)

posted by CandyMan, 15.08.2023, 22:29

>1. Why do you want to clear only 12h bytes at 0:500h rather than 20h bytes?

>2. Can you describe the failure without your disk.asm change not to do something with diskette units?

>3. Why did you change the colour offset? It seems like 24, 25, 26 points after the CON device header and its "COLOUR" signature while you subtract 6. So it actually uses the signature as data.

>4. I don't think unsupported subfunctions of a partially supported int 21h service 71h function should return 7100h.

>5. Finally, what name (if any) do you want me to enter into the repository for changes I pick from your patches?

>6. Also, I haven't used it in a long time so I'm unsure what setup (if any) the HX extender needs in order to run MSWindows programs.

>7. Can you list the exact commands or actions that I can do to reproduce the errors, please?

1. I did it for my own use. On my boot disk, I use a different kernel loader and store interrupt vectors 13h and 15h Linux/GRUB4DOS at address 0:0512 for later transfer to UMB memory and back after Int19h. Data at this address was probably used only by GWBasic.

2. I don't remember now, it was 3 years ago. I'm using a little Linux and GRUB4DOS to run DOS because I don't have a floppy drive anymore. The disk drive is emulated and is somewhere in memory above 1MB. Without this fix, it just freezes.

3. I did it so that the DOS interrupts were stored at a fixed address 0070h:0100h

4. Some programs (7zip launched with the command to unpack the archive using HX-DOS) only understand the code 7100h. When the code 0001h is returned, they assume that the file/directory cannot be created and abort without executing short file name function (39h).

5. You can use any name (e.g. CandyMan fix).

6. HX configuration: any XMS driver and C:\HX\BIN in the PATH environment variable and running HXLDR32.EXE resident

7. Programs to reproduce the error: just run DN.EXE or 7Z a -mx Archive.7Z *.*

The way it compresses the kernel:
https://megawrzuta.pl/download/c3100b23f1dc691db9e9e9b693d256d4.html

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
21998 Postings in 2024 Threads, 395 registered users, 225 users online (0 registered, 225 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed