Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

FAT32 drive on GPT (Miscellaneous)

posted by mceric, Germany, 30.08.2023, 22:54

> I have a 500GB GPT hard drive with a FAT32 drive on it. What will I need
> for DOS to see this disk? Is it possible at all?

I think Bret's USB drivers already support GPT, so if you do not need to boot from it, you could put it into an USB enclosure and accept the slow I/O that you get because only USB 2 is supported?

Note that USB legacy support by the BIOS would make USB disks with MBR partitions visible to the kernel out of the box, but to use GPT, you would have to avoid them. Unless you have actual PS/2 keyboard and mouse, this means that you may have to tune the DOS USB driver configuration in a way which keeps those under BIOS legacy control while using the DOS driver for the disk, on another controller. Mainboards often have multiple controllers.

Also, you can probably boot DOS from many things if you use GRUB and a bootable MEMDISK boot floppy image. This would then have to contain drivers to help DOS to get access to the actual disk. One example would be loading NTFS4DOS from the virtual floppy to proceed using NTFS partitions in DOS, with only the boot floppy being FAT formatted.

---
FreeDOS / DOSEMU2 / ...

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
21998 Postings in 2024 Threads, 395 registered users, 73 users online (0 registered, 73 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed