Considering MS-DOS (Users)

posted by Dennis, 03.08.2011, 02:02

> > I load an old PC Magazine command line editor called CMDEDIT, in an
> > enhanced version from Jason Hood.
>
> Thanks for your post. I use DOS for a long time but I missed this nice TSR
> - for MS-DOS (with original command.com) it is very usefull! I replaced old
> silly doskey by it. Most of time I drive DOS via DOS Navigator but
> sometimes working with bare cmdline so it helps.

Oh, you're quite welcome. I looked at a lot of TSR command editors back in the day, before settling on 4DOS to replace COMMAND.COM. One I used for a long time was Chris Dunford's CED, but I used an assortment of others. When MS finally got around to producing DOSkey, I thought it typical - they'd be last in line in providing something that arguably should have been in DOS all along, and when they finally did provide it, it was inferior to many of the shareware and freeware products that had preceded it. DOSKey is usable if you don't have something else, but that's seldom the case now. (DOSKey was a boon back when in corporate environments, where you might not be allowed to install third party utilities. At least you had something that could do the job.)

CMDEDIT gets the nod here for two reasons. First, it's one of the most powerful TSR Command line editors. Second, Jason has a 32 bit port that works in a CMD.EXE session in Windows, and can use the same config file as the DOS version. Jason also has a 32 bit ANSI driver port that works in a CMD window, so I can have roughly the same environment on both 16 bit and 32 bit sessions.

I have, but seldom use, products like Navigator. I'm an old command line guy, and I learned DOS back before products like Navigator existed. And I came to DOS from the Unix command line, back when X-Windows and GUIs mostly didn't exist. I had a Unix machine at home (and still have it) before I got a DOS PC, and spent a fair bit of time setting up DOS to mimic the Unix environment. (I got it to the point where it was hard to tell it wasn't a Unix system, but that's a topic for another post.)
______
Dennis

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
21998 Postings in 2024 Threads, 395 registered users, 187 users online (0 registered, 187 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed