Back to home page

DOS ain't dead

Forum index page

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view

Considering MS-DOS (Users)

posted by Dennis, 03.08.2011, 15:34

> > I have, but seldom use, products like Navigator. I'm an old command line
> > guy, and I learned DOS back before products like Navigator existed.
>
> I started to use DOS (and PC) later than you, in 1995/6 so there was Norton
> Commander, Volkov Commander etc. and later I discovered DN that is the
> best. I prefer it before bare cmdline because I have various tools and
> function closer to my hands and instant view of directory structure. I
> think that 2 equal panel is great idea that was not beat till now and in my
> eyes windows explorer and similar are inferior.

Oh, I understand why you like it. And there are a bunch of two pane file manager replacements for explorer, so you aren't the only one who feels that way. I just got accustomed to working at the command line because the first DOS I used was MS-DOS 2.11.

> I know 4dos and bash for dos but I like rather lightweight solution like
> cmdedit.

A DJGPP or Win32 port of bash is nice if you spend a lot of time in the *nix world and want a similar environment.

I gleefully clutched 4DOS to my chest way back when because it allowed me to dispense with 500KB or so of utilities whose functionality 4DOS built in. Not just command line recall/editing. but command aliases, a full screen file lister, a vastly enhanced batch language... The only issue that could arise with 4DOS was in secondary shells out of a DOS app: the 4DOS transient portion is large, and there might not be enough RAM left in a sub-shell to load it. For those cases, I reset COMSPEC in a batch file that ran the app to point to COMMAND.COM, and loaded a tiny TSR command line editor to provide the functionality.

> I also checked win32 ver. and ansi you mentioned (even for 64bit
> windows, with mingw sources, maybe interesting...) Just one thing is
> missing - scroll back buffer (I think there are some separate utilities but
> for some reason I don't remember now I don't use it).

You don't need something external to create a scroll buffer - Windows does that for you. Right click on the shortcut for a CMD.exe instance and select Properties. Pick the Layout tab in the Properties dialog. There are two settable values: the screen size (defaulting to 80x25, and the screen buffer size, defaulting to 80x300.
______
Dennis

Complete thread:

Back to the forum
Board view  Mix view
21998 Postings in 2024 Threads, 395 registered users, 186 users online (0 registered, 186 guests)
DOS ain't dead | Admin contact
RSS Feed